Your immune system is responsible for protecting your body from foreign substances or toxins that can cause your body harm. Your lifestyle can affect just how well your immune system is protecting you from invaders. By replacing bad health habits with good ones, you will help to keep your immune system healthy and strong.
Here are 7 ways you can improve the health of your immune system today.
- Get enough sleep—when you are deprived of sleep, your body is less likely to defend itself against illnesses. Sleep can also help to reduce stress hormones and decrease inflammation in the body. Try to get 7-9 hours of sleep each night to keep your immune system strong and healthy.
- Get some sun—without an adequate amount of vitamin D, there is less calcium uptake in the bloodstream. Vitamin D can boost your immune system, so be sure you are getting enough of it from the foods you eat, exposure to the sun or supplements.
- Chiropractic—research shows that chiropractic care boosts the immune system and relieves stress.
- Laughter really is the best medicine—start smiling and laughing more. It releases endorphins, lowers blood pressure and reduces stress hormones—which all help to boost your immune function.
- Exercise—just 30 minutes of exercise a day can help to strengthen your immune system and promote weight loss.
- Eat good food—your immune system could be suffering if you are not eating a diet that is full of vitamins and nutrients. Sugar can actually reduce the cells in your immune system that attack bacteria. Eating foods like fruits and vegetables will supply your immune system with vitamins and nutrients to strengthen it and keep it healthy.
- Stress less—chronic and un-managed stress can wear down your immune system. When you are stressed, your body releases cortisol that suppresses your immune cells. There will always be stress, but it’s how you respond and adapt to the stress—find relaxing activities that help you find peace and calm down.
Start incorporating these immune boosters into your daily routine and you may be able to ward off illnesses in the future. Call us today at (518)357-3262